If it was easy to convert consumer data into relevant marketing messages customized to individual recipients, everyone would be doing it. Marketers want to embrace data to deliver a relevant message, but doing so means implementing the right resources, understanding your data, and determining how your campaign strategy can drive more relevance to ultimately engage your customers. Personalized and targeted communications can drive business results when they are executed in the right way.
There are some fundamental principles that data-driven marketing veterans use to generate results for their businesses as well as their customers. Here’s a short list for consideration when determining the “who, what, and how” for your next data-driven marketing campaign!
- Define Your Strategies and Goals. Research from InfoTrends about direct mail found that 66% of direct mail is opened and 82% of it is read for a minute or more; more importantly, 84% of consumers say that personalization and/or customization makes them more likely to open direct mail in the first place. It’s important that you work with your provider to clearly define campaign objectives and map out what you hope to accomplish. Are you hoping to acquire new customers, retain existing ones, or perhaps increase share of wallet? It’s important to align your campaign goals and tactics with the goals you are hoping to accomplish (e.g., attract new customers, build your membership base, increase sales). Consumers won’t just open a mail piece because it has their name on it—a good data-driven marketing campaign will be relevant and engaging. Your direct mail piece should also be part of an omni-channel strategy, and you get bonus points if the communication is high-quality in terms of look and feel!
- Review Available Data Assets. According to the Winterberry Group’s Annual Marketing Outlook, marketers spent $11.87 billion on data and services in support of marketing last year. Chances are you already have all the data you need for a successful campaign, so determine the data assets that you have available (analytics, monitoring tools, application builds, CRMs, databases, etc.). Analyze your data and decide which data points are most relevant to your campaign objectives. For example, if you’re a car dealer trying to sell new cars, identifying the customers with expiring leases is a good starting point. If you’re selling life insurance, you might consider targeting couples that recently had their first baby.
- Measure and Monitor Results. There are a number of tools available that have dashboards to track responses, along with reporting to assist in analyzing your campaign. The solution should be user friendly, with simplified content, and complement the results that you are seeking.
- Adapt Your Tactics. Change and adapt your tactics based on actual results rather than gut feelings. It’s important to understand that working with data and cross-channel direct marketing campaigns is a journey, not a destination. Gather as much insight as you can, then leverage it to learn, adapt, and improve your strategy!
- Choosing the Right Partner. Now is the time to evaluate your data-driven marketing strategy and launch your next winning campaign. The process can be complicated, but in reality, with the right partner, it is easier than your think! If you’re looking for a strategic partner to deliver data-driven communications, look no further, as Tukaiz can assist you on a variety of levels. Our experienced marketing production and data specialist teams, along with our specialized technology solutions, are a unique combination. We have an extensive track record of providing marketers with successful campaigns and quantifiable results.